On Saturday, Jorryn and I went on a mini road trip to visit a friend and attend her foster child's birthday party. They live in a small town and decided to have the party at the local roller skating rink. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I kind of thought that I'd have to entertain Jorryn while the other children skated, so I brought her baby and stroller and some books just in case we got bored.
Well, as soon as we arrived, Jorryn ran right up to the rink and started hopping up and down, screaming in excitement. She says, "Look, Mama, look!" and "Oooh, pretty lights!" I picked her up and pointed to the roller-skaters and explained what they were doing since this was the first time she'd ever seen anyone skating. She immediately replies, "I do it!!! I do it too!"
So I went to the counter and got her a pair of size 9 roller skates (which are about 3 sizes too big for her feet, oh well) and I get them on her feet. All the while, she's telling me, "Let's go, Mama!"
And so we went. And went. And went! She absolutely loved it! We must have circled the rink about 10 times! I held her hand and she hobbled along. Occasionally, I'd grab both hands and pick up speed and she'd say, "Wheeeeeee!"
So we had a great time skating. We later had some cake, and watched our little friend open her presents. The birthday girl was well-known to like anything to do with the Disney princesses. What was funny was that she received four Disney princess dolls and each one was different from the other.
When we got home, Jorryn told me that she had, "Fun skating!" and she has mentioned roller skates and roller skating several times since we've come home. I'm thinking that I may have to look into an inexpensive roller skating rink that isn't too busy or maybe a pair of adjustable skates for kids. Who knew? Perhaps it isn't so surprising, because her Grandma and Great Uncle were both competitive roller skaters back in their day...
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment