Monday, April 27, 2009

Humpty Dumpty

I had a few things to get finished up this morning and so I plugged in a Dora the Explorer movie as I went about getting some stuff done. We were watching Dora and the Nursery Rhymes for the first time. Well, she was happily enjoying the show right until we got to the part with Humpty Dumpty. He was sitting on the wall and fell over backwards. The next scene showed him broken up in pieces, like a jigsaw puzzle, and we had to help Dora put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Well, this was too much for my poor daughter. Jorryn cried in distress, and tembled and yelled, "I'm scared! It scared me! I don't like those peoples! I don't like this Dora!" This was the first time I've ever seen her this scared. I was able to reassure her that Humpty Dumpty was all better, now that he was put back together. Later on, we talked about it again, and I had the idea to explain that Humpty Dumpty was kind of like Mr. Potato Head, where his parts come apart and together again. At the end of the day, she seemed at lot better about it.

I've read in a book or magazine somewhere that kids start developing their fears between the age of 2 and 3 and it definitely has started creeping up in Jorryn. She has been telling me about the things that scare her lately. The other day, she was scared of a cricket that she could head but couldn't see. She's also somewhat afraid of the dark and won't venture down a dark corridor alone. She's also asked a few times to come sleep in our bed, and also asked me to come sleep in hers.

Jorryn has been singing a lot lately too. Last weekend, we went to fly our new kite at the park by the lake. It was quite windy and that kite flew crazily all over the place. I taught her to sing the "Let's Go Fly A Kite" song from Mary Poppins and she really loved it. She's been a longtime fan of the "Chim Chimney" song, probably since around 18 or 19 months. She even calls chimneys, "chim-chimneys". So the kite song was an easy one for her to pick up on. Another song that she really likes is the bicycle song by Queen. We sing that one a lot in the car.

No comments: