Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Children's Hospital Visit

I took Jorryn to the E.R. this evening after discovering that a little boy had somehow accidentally poked her in the eye while trying to catch a ball at the YMCA. From the way she was squinting and then started complaining that her eye hurt, my mommy senses were on high alert that something was wrong. I looked in her eye and could see the scratch right in the middle. I called my boss and told her we were outta there, and took off trying to find somewhere to take her.

Oddly enough, this was our first visit to the E.R. since I had my gallbladder surgery when she was three months.Yes, I feel utmost gratitude for this! After much debating in my mind, I opted for the children's hospital E.R. Luckily, she fell asleep on the way and stayed asleep during most of the waiting (about 2.5 hours). She woke up once and fussed and cried that her eye was hurting, poor thing.

When we were finally taken back to see a doctor, they had to place some dye in her eye and use a blacklight to see what the damage was. Of course, it was exactly as I told him, a scratch in the center of her eye and thankfully, it was superficial. Jorryn was such a trooper - she didn't flail or kick, just cried... it was so hard to see her in pain. They sent us home with antibiotics and placed numbing drops in her eye to help her sleep. We need to monitor her for infection. I'm worried about this, of course, since this was a young boy who was playing ball outdoors. Like yeah, no chance of infection there... I guess we'll hope for the best and see what happens.

No comments: