Sunday, November 9, 2008

Cute!!!

Today, I watched Jorryn play a game with her Dada. John has a hat rack when he keeps all of his baseball caps. He was holding her and she was pointing to the hat rack, and grabbing his cap off of his head. She was saying, "Put it back!" John played along and put his hat back on the rack. Then Jorryn pointed to a different hat and said, "This one!" And John played along and put the new hat on his head. Then Jorryn would exclaim, "Cute! Now put it back!" and they would start the game all over again. It was so funny to watch, especially hearing her call him cute! Hehe!

In the afternoon, I took Jorryn to the downtown library to hear a free concert called the Huun Huur Tu Tuvan Throat Singers. They are a troupe from somewhere between Siberia and Mongolia and they sing in their culturally distinctive way, called throat singing. Now, I've heard throat singing once before in college. I had a friend who was Inuit and from a small town on the far northern coast of Quebec. Our instructor had asked her if she'd be willing to perform for the class and so she did and it was absolutely stunning. So much so that I don't think I'll ever forget it.

So I decided to take Jorryn along and immerse her intoa different culture and sort of music. The music was something of a cross between Asian and Native American. I was really impressed that Jorryn sat through three songs before starting to get fidgety. She really has a developing appreciation for music; and so as we left the room, she commented on the "music" letting me know she would like to hear more. Unfortunately, she just couldn't sit still through it. So we sat outside the door and listened to another song, as she played with a toy and then we left to run some errands.

I would like to mention that Jorryn has her own favorite music and band. It's called the Laurie Berkner Band and she would listen to their CDs all the time if I let her. They also have a DVD with music videos and she'd watch that over and over all day long if I let her. When we are in the car, she'll tell me, "Music back on!" if I'm not playing anything. She's also started telling me, "Dvd!" meaning she wants to listen to something else, while in the car.

It's truly a good thing that I chose music that I enjoyed listening to as well, or I'd be burnt out by now. It just so happens that I enjoy folk music and so her CDs are a lot of fun and easy to learn, yet they are not the boring same-old repetitive traditional kiddie songs that everyone has heard millions of times. I should probably also mention that my 99% certain guess of Jorryn's favorite song right now is "We are the Dinosaurs" by Laurie Berkner.

1 comment:

Hilary de Haan said...

Ha! I love that :-) Cute stuff!!